Hello Carinya Community
Please find following, an update in regards to the current COVID-19 situation and the Home’s continuing preparations and responses to not only this, but to influenza and similar illnesses as the weather gets colder.
Aged Care Direction #4 has now been released by the Qld Government and in short extends the current restrictions in place until 17th August.
These include those listed below as well as that Residents are unable to leave the Home whilst this Direction is in place.
The full details are available of the Dept of Health website.
Carinya continues to practice increased protocols to minimize the risk of illness outbreaks during the colder months, including:
- Restricted visiting hours that allow our team to ensure that all visitors have a flu vaccination, are well and not feeling sick, and have not been overseas in the past 14 days.
- Hand sanitizing stations and hand washing facilities are located throughout the Home and all are encouraged to use these including Residents as well as Staff and Visitors.
- Out of hours for visits are by prior arrangement and apply for compassionate situations such as end of life stages for Residents.
- Residents are monitored for illness and this is tracked in various ways including a temperature log with any abnormal readings alerted to Senior Staff immediately.
- Social distancing is practiced with our Residents and Staff, and examples include dining room tables being spread apart, and daily activities being conducted with adequate spacing between chairs and tables to practice good hygiene practices.
- Staff are aware of the need to report any illness and if unwell, see their doctor immediately.
If testing of an employee is required, they will not return to work until results have been received.
- As well as our normal infection control protocols and training, extra education has been provided to all Staff to include refreshers on hand hygiene and the need to be vigilant in minimizing cross transmission between Residents, Staff and Visitors.
- Senior Clinical Staff are aware of the importance to identify any Resident or Staff member that is not well and ensure they are checked appropriately and isolated if necessary.
In summary – Carinya is committed to providing quality care to our Residents while maintaining focus on infection control and prevention.
Carinya is informed by the Department of Health and relevant legislation guides us in the implementation of requirements that will change from time to time based on prevailing conditions such as outbreaks in our Community.
As I have said previously, your time and effort to maintain connections with our Residents is indeed appreciated by all, Residents and Staff – thank you.
Chief Executive Officer